Thursday, June 16, 2016

5 books I want to read this summer

Hey everyone! If you know me, you also know that I'm not one to stick to specific TBR piles/lists but I thought this summer I'd try to at least read some of the books I've been wanting to read for so long. Will it work? Who knows, but I'll definitely try my best!
______________________________________

1. A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab

Shade. Shadow. Cool. Shadows are my best friends in summer - seriously, I haaate it when it's so hot outside - so obviously this book has to be a part of the list. Also, I already started it a while ago but couldn't/didn't want to finish because I wasn't in the right mood.

2. I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson

Sun. Yellow. Warmth. This just screams summer at me. The cover looks incredibly beautiful and like I said, even though I'm not a summer person this one brings me into a great mood! I've heard it's very emotional and awesome so I'm really looking forward to it.

3. The Rose & The Dagger by Renée Ahdieh

Rose. Flower. Blue like the sky ...Well, I'm not sure if this is good for a summery read but I'm so excited to get to it anyway! I loved the first book and already can't wait to dive into this amazing world again - kickass characters, fantastic setting and beautiful writing ... YES PLEASE.

4. Demon Road by Derek Landy

Demons. Hot. Hell ... Summer? Okay, this doesn't even make sense - to me it does because summer = hell - but road ... well, roadtrip? That has something to do with summer, right? IT GOES ONTO THE LIST. I've been wanting to get to this ever since I read Cait's awesome review and fell in love with it. It seems to have a lot of funny scenes and some Supernatural references? Either way ... I'M EXCITED!

5. Truthwitch by Susan Dennard

Water ... and umm, blue cover? I don't have any other book that gives me summer vibes (not that all of the above do, haha) but this one comes close to it, I think. I've heard so many amazing things about this book and basically everyone I know loved it and raved about it ... meaning, I'll have to check it out! I'm super curious about the characters - they're somewhat important to me - and from what I heard /saw ... they're brilliant. I can't wait!!!
______________________________________

So there you go - 5 books I want to read this summer ... they're not necessarily the most summerish books but surely they'll all be amazing, right? Have you read any of these yet? With which should I start off? What's on YOUR summer TBR?

22 comments:

  1. I already read the first 3, but not the other 2, but if you're in the mood for contemporary then you should start with I'll Give You the Sun! And if you want fantasy with a hint of romance (just a hint, not even canon haha!) you should read ADSOM. I hope you'll enjoy reading them!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read a contemp in AGES, so I'll probably (hopefully? most likely?) will start with that one! I'm really excited! :D

      Delete
  2. I definitely think you should start off with I'll Give You The Sun. I ADORE Jandy Nelson and her books! It's the perfect book to start off your summer reading, and if you end up enjoying it, I highly recommend reading her other novel, The Sky is Everywhere :)

    Awesome post, Yvonne!
    Mariah @ Vibin With Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, I've seen the new book cover of The Sky is Everywhere and now I kinda want it anyway? UGH! I'll try to read I'll Give You first, so hopefully I'll like it! :D

      Delete
  3. AAAAH, YES READ TRUTHWITCH! It is awesome. So is I'll give you the sun. It is different than what you would expect. (I didn't like her other book at all, but this is a good one!) and THE ROSE AND THE DAGGER is also really great. I've only just finished it, but I vouch for it! :) A Darker Shade Of Magic is also on my summer tbr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAAAS! I hope I can get to them as soon as possible! And also, we should buddy read ADSOM when you have time & want to! Or at least talk about it like we did for ACOMAF! :D ♥

      Delete
  4. The only one of these I've read is Truthwitch and I didn't love it, but I know pretty much everyone else did! I hope you enjoy it!! I also really want to read The Rose and the Dagger ASAP! I hope you get to all of these :D

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard so many great things about The Rose and The Dagger - I'M EXCITED! I hope you enjoy it too, Tracy! :D

      Delete
  5. The Rose and the Dagger and Truthwitch are both on my summer TBR too! I'm really looking forward to them. I really enjoyed A Darker Shade of Magic, and hope you'll like it as much as I did!
    Great post :)
    Erika @ Books, Stars, and the Pages in Between

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erika! I hope you'll enjoy them too - so far I've only heard amazing things! :D

      Delete
  6. There are some good books on this list and I'm impressed because I've read 4/5 of them which never happens when I see people's book lists. I can tell you now that Demon Road is good but I had to be in the right mood for the sarcastic and humorous writing. Truthwitch is good and will make you want to call your best friend. A Darker Shade of Magic was fantastic and I really need to read the second book. The Rose and The Dagger was a good ending to the little duology but I know some people had complaints, I found one of my favourite characters in that book but each to their own. And I still need to read I'll Give You The Sun so I can't comment.

    I hope you manage to get through these. Five books are a very reasonable number of books to aim to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ALWAYS in the mood for sarcastic and humorous things, haha. You made me really excited for all of the books on my list and I'm super eager to get to them all - I hope nothing else gets in between me & them. :D

      Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Out of the five books you mentioned, I've read them all but Demon Road. The Rose and the Dagger is amazing in the summer, because of the desert setting. This one and Truthwitch are part of my favourite books of the year, so you should definitely get to these! ADSOM is also amazing, but you will probably want to pick AGOS after that, so be warned! ;) I wasn't the biggest fan of I'll Give You The Sun, but I know a lot of people who did love it. I hope you'll get to all of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, noted! So I have to buy AGOS before I get to read ADSOM, haha. WILL DO! Thanks so much! I'm really excited to read them all! :D

      Delete
  8. I hope you enjoy these books! I read I'll Give You the Sun around last summer, and it really was the perfect summer read. The author has the most beautiful and lyrical writing, and the story is heart-breakingly beautiful too. I've not read Truthwitch or The Rose and the Dagger yet either, but I would like to read them this summer! TWATD duology means summer to me, because I read it last year in France, in the glorious sun. Hopefully it will be sunny for when I read TRATD, haha! ♥

    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And hopefully we'll both love it as much as the first book! I'm really excited to start them all soon! _D

      Delete
  9. When I think of summer reads my mind goes straight to contemporaries, but since it's not my favourite genre I end up making excuses for why others are ahah. The process sounds a lot like yours! All 5 books are my my summer TBR, but I've thinking about starting A Darker Shade of Magic early :D Demon Road too because the hardback is too big to take on holiday (the downfall of being a bibliophile abroad!) Happy reading
    Enchanted by YA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg yes! I also always think of contemporaries but rarely read them anymore ... idk why actually, I used to enjoy them a lot but lately I'm more into YA fantasy soooo whatever, haha. :D

      I hope you enjoy ADSOM! The bit I've read so far was really good! ♥

      Delete
  10. I have had I'll Give You The Sun on my bookshelf for over a year, but I've never gotten to reading it. I hope to get to it in the near future. Best of luck at getting to your books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I hope you get to read it soon too! I've heard amazing things about it, so I'm super excited. :D

      Delete
  11. YES TO ALL OF THESE! I absolutely loved I'll Give You the Sun, so I hope you end up enjoying it as much as I did. :) And I've been hearing nothing but great things about A Darker Shade of Magic and The Wrath & the Dagger so hopefully those live up to the hype for you. :) Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous post! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read ADSOM and TW&TD? If not, please read TW&TD at least! It's so, so good and I loved it a lot! Such beautiful writing, amazing characters and in general a great storyline! ♥

      And thanks so much, Zoe! Happy reading! <3

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥