Monday, April 25, 2016

The Unpopular Opinions Book Tag

So, a while ago Melissa @ In A Bookish World tagged me to do this tag and since she recently remembered me again, here it is now!

1. A popular book or series that you didn’t like.

Umm ... maybe Looking for Alaska by John Green? After enjoying TFIOS so much, I thought his other books have to be as brilliant as this one ... nope. It was an "okay" read for me but I was really not as impressed as everyone else. The same goes for Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.

2. A popular book/series that every one else seems to hate but you love.

After thinking long and hard about this question and analyzing my ratings on Goodreads, I came to the conclusion that I DON'T FREAKING NOW. I'm serious, I coulnd't come up with one book that I loved but everyone else hated. Is that a good sign? No idea, my brain is mush right now.

3. A love triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with (warn ppl for spoilers) OR an OTP that you don’t like.

I feel like my answer for this kind of question is always the same but I DON'T CARE. I wanted Alina from the Grisha trilogy to end up with someone else SO BADLY. I won't say with whom but the people who've read it and know me might already know the answer. Both is correct, by the way. 

4. A popular book genre that you hardly reach for.

I have to steal that answer from Melissa but - as sad as it sounds - for me it's also CLASSICS. I have a few on my shelves (such as Pride and Prejudice - which I loved! -, Dracula, Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan) but nearly not enough. I want to read them but ... oh, I don't know.

5. A popular or beloved character that you do not like.

Does Ben from Colleen Hoover's November 9 count? I know loads of people love him and can't stop swooning but ... I couldn't care less. He had some sweet moments but there were others that just disturbed me too much. Naah, he's not for me.

6. A popular author that you can’t seem to get into.

Actually, I haven't even read anything by her yet but Cassandra Clare is the only one that comes to my mind immediately. I can't say anything about her writing style but the fact that I'm hesitating so much to even get her books tells me a lot already ... I can't decide.

Update: That's not true anymore! I finally read City of Bones and enjoyed it quite a lot, to be honest. There'll be a review on the blog soon, so keep an eye out! :D

7. A popular book trope that you’re tired of seeing. (examples “lost princess”, corrupt ruler, love triangles, etc.)

What do I hate with passion? Perfect characters. The damsel in distress. (at least sometimes) Instalove. Boys and girls that can't just be best friends. A girl everyone is in love with even though there's nothing special about her ... and many more!

8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading.

Divergent by Veronica Roth maybe? I have it on my shelves but whenever I just LOOK it at, I'm like: Nooo, don't want to read you! I bet there are more but I can't come up with any others right now.

9. The saying goes “The book is always better than the movie”, but what movie or T.V. show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion - maybe because I've seen the movie first and read the book afterwards but it was so entirely different ... I just didn't like the book, oops.

I'm not tagging anyone in particular but if you're interested and want to do the tag yourself: FEEL TAGGED! I'd love to know your opinion on these questions! 

* Header illustration by marushabelle

15 comments:

  1. Yay! Awesome answers :D
    And I LOVE the little art thingy you made!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just added the text, haha. But thank you. :P

      Delete
  2. I love your banner :D I agree, I also dislike who Alina ended up with! I was wishing for the other one!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeees! That's like the first thing that comes to my mind ... she should've ended up with someone else, ugh.

      Delete
  3. I like Looking for Alaska the best out of all of John Green's books, but overall, John Green to be is just too overrated and always lets me down a bit. And Thirteen Reasons Why was a huge disappointment for me. I really disliked the representation of mental illness. A girl everyone is in love with even if she is nothing special is such a pet peeve for me....I mean, it isn't exactly NORMAL to have multiple people falling over themselves in love with you....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I guess I just couldn't connect with the characters or story itself. I agree with you on the overrated thing though - his books aren't THAT good, in my opinion.

      Delete
  4. Haha; well you know how I feel about Looking For Alaska obviously. But I completely agree with your choice of "book tropes your tired of seeing". I'm so done with those as well. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I like reading about them ... or don't mind when the characters are good but yeah, mostly it's just annoying. :D

      Delete
  5. A huge, whopping YES TO HATING WHO ALINA ENDED UP WITH. Ugh, that frustrates me to no end. Even though I've come to realize that you-know-who wasn't as bad as I originally thought, I still just don't ship him and her together. I was rooting for the The Darkling or a certain swoon-worthy privateer. Or even both. At once. Hell, I'd take them both!
    Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeees!!! No matter who it would've been it's a better choice than you-know-who. But then again, now WE can have those two at least, haha. :D

      Delete
  6. It's the same for me with classics. I want to read them but then I'm too intimidated to pick them up. The same goes for Historical Fiction. I need to push myself more to read books out of my comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, Historical Fiction! I haven't read many but always shy away from them ... I don't know why but I can't seem to get into those, ugh.

      Delete
  7. I didn't like Looking for Alaska much either. And ughhh Divergent. I only read the first book and it was okay but I have zero interest in the other books. I feel nothing for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Then I don't have to read it? That makes me feel so much better, haha. :D

      Delete
  8. I've only read Shadow and Bone, but since then I've been spoiled about who she ends up with. I don't like it. I don't like it at all. Because of this, I have less intentions of finishing the series. Yes to Divergent. I kind of wish I read it years ago when it first came out. I have less and less interest every year to pick it up. I was also spoiled for that one, so that could be a huge factor. I really need to stop getting spoiled. :P

    Sarah | Kerosene Lit

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥