Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Why I won't finish and/or start these 9 series!

I'm a sucker for series. If you look at my shelves you'll find roughly 50 stand-alones ... of almost 220 books that I own. Holy smokes. I didn't know how many books I owned until now. And that only 50 of them are stand-alones! Wow! However, I want to share 7 series that I won't continue to read + 2 that I'll most likely never start!


7 series I (most likely) won't finish


The Maze Runner by James Dashner
According to Goodreads it took me 3 whole months to finish the first book. WHAT?!? Not sure if this is right but ... that's a long time. I really enjoyed The Maze Runner and even own the second book but for some reason I haven't picked it up yet because ... well, I don't know. I'm just not interested anymore - I haven't even seen the 2nd movie - and doubt I'll be sometime soon.

Wait for You by J. Lynn
I loved the first book - Cam Hamilton is one of my favorite book-boyfriends EVER. The second one wasn't that bad either but I just can't bring myself to read any of the other books ... technically they're all stand-alones but kind of connect with each other through the characters and while I love JLA/J.Lynn, I just don't care. I bought the first three books but won't get the others, I think.

The Immortals by Alyson Noel
There was a time when I was OBSESSED with this series. Seriously, it was one of my favorites before I started to read in english but I don't think it would be the same now. You know those series that you gave 5 stars ages ago but now you don't even remember what it was about? Yeah, that's The Immortals for me ... maybe that's also why I haven't completed the series although I own all the books? Too bad.

House of Night by P.C. Cast
I read the first 5 books and highly enjoyed them but because I always had to wait for the german editions to be published I kind of forgot about it after a while. That was a huuuuge problem back when I still read all my books in german - the wait was frustrating! Now there are just too many books to catch up and I don't even remember what it really was about. And obviously I'm not going to reread the whole series. No time for that.

Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
I read the first book and quite enjoyed it because it was so different than anything I've read until then. However, it just didn't grab me like other series did. It was very interesting with all the pictures inside but overall just average ... meh. Then again, I'm kinda excited for the movie? So we'll see!

The Ruby Red Trilogy by Kerstin Gier
I was NEVER a huge fan of time traveling books and even though I gave the first book 4 stars and I know people love this series, I never continued reading it. I kind of lost interest. Oh well.

Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Okay, so I know A LOT of people love this series ... I didn't. Actually, it was one of the worst books I've ever read and I feel really bad for saying this but NO. The concept was very intriguing and I actually wanted to know more about it. The characters, however, were terrible. I just didn't care about any of them and the MC bothered me SO MUCH.



2 series I'll (most likely) never read



Divergent by Veronica Roth
The first book has an average star rating of 4.29 on Goodreads. That's a lot, right?! So why will I never read this? Probably because of the last book. I keep hearing different things about this series but the third book was disappointing to most people ... so why should I bother reading this series if, in the end, I won't be satisfied? Nope.




The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare
I'm STILL not sure if I'll ever read this series or not. I have it on my TBR list and actually thought about buying the first book a couple of times already but ... I DON'T KNOW. Everyone keeps telling me it's good and I should definitely check it out but then I'm reading some more reviews and they're not so positive which leads to me being at the beginning again. Completely torn. UGHH. :D




What about you? Have you finished any of the series I mentioned? Should I give any of those another try? Which series will YOU never finish/start?

26 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved the first book of the Divergent trilogy and I would definitely recommend it. As for the rest of the series, it's not the best. So I guess I understand your reasoning, but I still feel like I should try to convince you to give it a go.

    And as to The Mortal Instruments: I gave the first book three stars when I first read it and I really wasn't impressed. But with all the books in the Shadowhunters world that are now out, I have to say it's one of my favorite series of all time. I really grew to love all the characters and when I reread the first book last month, I felt right at home and loved it from beginning to end. So yes, I would definitely recommend giving that series a go, but I can also understand that it's a huge commitment because there are just so many books.
    Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard they're good and that only the last book is disappointing but so many of my friends didn't like it and were even angry so I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble, ugh.

      Yeees, that's another point: SO MANY BOOKS. And they're not even small ones so it's even worse, haha. But I'll see. :D

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with you on The House of Night series. I really want to read it, since I hate not finishing a series, but 12 books? Seriously? It's ridiculous! And in terms of The Mortal Instruments, I say you should read it! But you also shouldn't let what other people think stop you from getting it or not. Some people will hate it while others won't. You really don't know what you'll feel until you read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also hate not-finishing series but ... no, I just can't bother to pick them up again. Plus, I don't even own the first 2 books and won't buy them.

      I know, I know. It's just that even people who enjoyed the books aren't too sure about them and they have similar tastes to mine. It's complicated, haha. :D

      Delete
  3. House of Night series was the worst. I remember liking the first three or so books but then kind of hating the rest. I only read up to book 9 or 10. I can't quite remember. I shudder when I think of those books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well "only"?! That's a lot actually! I enjoyed the series but don't think I'd like them the same now ... I was a little younger back then, haha.

      Delete
  4. I also won't finish The Maze Runner and Delirium. TMR was an okay read, so I'm not in a hurry to finish the rest of the series. But Delirium? It's actually the first book I DNF and I hate it a lot. The world and the characters are just so bland and boring I just can't.

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU. Finally someone who's on my side when it comes to Delirium! I just didn't like this book and don't even get why everyone loves it so much?! I read the book after watching the pilot episode of the series they planned on doing - I LOVED THE EPISODE. It was great and I wanted to know a lot more but the book was such a huge disappointment ... nope, never again.

      Delete
  5. I finished Delirium. Because I wanted to finish it, not because it was any good. I've read the Maze Runner as well (tbh, I thought both the Scorch Trials and the Death Cure were better than the first book) and I finished both Divergent and The Mortal Instruments. I don't know.. They weren't terrible. I LOVED the first Divergent. And TMI grew on me after a while.. Stay with a couple of characters long enough and you'll start caring about them. Especially when there are six books. But should you definitely read them? No. You're probably making a wise decision here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you didn't like it either? Haha. :D They were? I guess I should give them a try then ... I own the second book but haven't picked it up yet. Oh well.

      And yes to what you said about the characters! I'm still not sure if I'll ever read those books .. there are so many and they're huge too, ugh. :D

      Delete
  6. Oh wow, only 50 standalones out of 220 books?? That's honestly mindblowing haha - I think I read more standalones! xD
    I totally agree with most on your list - esp with James Dashner's books - it was just too hard for me to get into the first book!
    And with City of Bones and the rest of The Mortal Instruments...if you don't read them - you should give The Infernal Devices books a go - I enjoyed them A LOT more than The Mortal Instruments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOOOW. I couldn't believe it myself!! :D Actually, I recently sold my copy of Clockwork Angel ... it was in german though, so I wouldn't have read it anyway. Maybe I pick it up again sometime. I don't have to read TMI to understand it though, right?

      Delete
  7. I think you should read them all... eventually (except those you've grown out of)! I also haven't finished TMI but I'm sure there's still time to do that :)
    Btw, The Maze Runner books are way better than the films - so many feels! As for Divergent, it's so amazing and I don't think the third book is a disappointment (this definitely shouldn't keep you from reading the trilogy), it's just quite different, the environment changes and they fight other problems than in the firt two books. And there's the ending of course. You really must find out yourself, I promise you will be satisfied albeit broken-hearted. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Divergent is actually the one I don't really want to read ... I mean, sure it has loads of fans but when I look at the book on my shelves I always think: "Nooope." ... maybe that's because of the last books and the things I've heard but right now I won't read it. Maybe sometime in the future? Who knows? :D

      Delete
  8. Oh, I like this post! I finished Maze Runner but the third book is such a mess! Honestly didn't even enjoy it that much :( Which is sad because I really did like the first one.
    I'm in the same boat with you when it comes to House of Night and Miss Peregrine's... I'm also not going to finish Divergent or the Mortal Instruments. I used to feel a bit guilty about it but now... Meh. There are so many amazing books out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the first TMR book as well! I had a hard time getting into it but overall it was quite good - I also liked the movie so maybe I should still give the series a try ... hmmm.

      Exactly! I don't even feel guilty anymore. Everyone has a different taste and I can't read EVERYTHING. It's better if I read books I'm REALLY interested, right? :D

      Delete
  9. I COMPLETELY agree about The Maze Runner! I read the first book and loved it, but then the second book was just so strange and I could barely find anything to like. I'm actually kind of relieved that someone spoiled book 3 for me because knowing what I do, I don't feel guilty about not reading it AT ALL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spoilers suuuuck ... I hate it when someone spoilers a book for me, even though I don't plan on reading it. That's just rude. I think TMR didn't even have to be a series ... I wouldn't have minded if there was only ONE book.

      Delete
  10. I don't think I'll ever finish The Maze Runner either... I DNFed the last book, so I really have no interest in reading the others! I thought the concept was a bit sexist too, so it's a definite no-go for me. I'd highly recommend TMI - the first 2 books are a bit slow and iffy, but the 3rd is amazing!! The Wait For You series doesn't appeal to me at all either :/

    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing with TMI is that I think I'm almost too old for it now? I guess I would've loved it if I read it years ago ... but I haven't. And now I'm like: REALLY? Should I give this a try even though there are so many books and I heard loads of mixed things? I don't wanna waste my time, haha. We'll see though :D

      Delete
  11. Hey there :)

    I've read some of the books on this list and I can tell you, you should really try to start/continue some of them when you can because you shouldn't ignore a book because of a few bad reviews (Talking about Divergent and Mortal Instruments). There will always be people who don't like a book and you should be able to form your own opinion and I myself thought they were both amazing. You don't start a book because of the ending, but because you're in for the ride (Divergent).

    I started The House of Night series when I was about 10ish. I got the first two books or so in the German paperback edition (back when I read in German, too). Then I continued and of course I had to wait extra long because I wanted my collection to be complete with the paperbacks. In fact, I only just bought the last book in the series a few weeks ago and haven't read the last two books yet. I totally understand why you wouldn't continue, but I myself can't start a series and not read until the very end.
    And The Maze Runner is really a book you should read if you're into dystopian novels. Again a lot of people probably talk negatively about the ending, but everyone's got their own opinion.

    Nice blog! Your new follower,
    Yasmine @ Swissbookworm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yasmine! So sorry for the late reply ... I'm in a slump concerning EVERYTHING, ugh. Thank you so much for following though!! ♥

      I know what you mean but honestly, I think I'm too old and seeing how many awesome books there are and how little time I have to read lately I just don't want to "waste" it, does it make sense? Maybe I should form my own opinion but some of my friends have similar tastes and if THEY already aren't sure ... well, how should I be? Haha. :D

      Delete
    2. That totally makes sense! We should read the books we want to read and not be forced into it. Hope you'll read a lot of great books in the near future :)

      Delete
  12. Yayyy, I love this post! There some series on here that I haven't even heard of, but as you know TMI was the series that got me into reading YA and it holds a special place in my heart (although I don't know how much I would love it if I read it now... and it could have ended after 3-4 books really haha). You should try The Infernal Devices if Shadowhunter stuff is too daunting, or even Lady Midnight! I also loved Divergent, but absolutely detested the last book. WHY JUST WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT. -_-"

    I think I read Marked, but never bothered reading the rest. I don't tend to like it when a series has TOO many books... 5+ is a bit daunting. I had my eye on Delirious because I think there's supposed to be a love triangle in there, but I haven't ever gotten round to it and now it's been so long I don't know if I ever will xD

    Great post, as always my dear! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But won't I be completely confused if I just read TID without TMI? I actually owned the first book of TID but sold it because it was in german and way too huge, haha.

      AND SEE!!! That's why I wouldn't want to read the Divergent series ... just no. I don't need that, haha.

      Don't read Delirium. I know loads of people will shake their head/fist at me for saying this but it's not worth it. I detested it so much ... if you're curious though, my review is somewhere on the blog and GR, haha. :D

      Delete
  13. I agree with you on some of these series on your list. I read Evemore 3 years ago and I DNF it. hahaha! As for the House of Night series, I finished the 12 books (every year of waiting is an agony after the 6th book). Mutual feelings on Miss Peregrine's as well. The movie trailer is really good and I trust Tim Burton on that though he made some changes.

    Girl, I haven't finished TMI series because I was spoiled with TID when I've read the 5th book. I wasn't informed I have to read TID first after City of Glass. I'm not sure if I will continue it... It seems Cassandra Clare is not moving on from the Shadowhunters world.

    Great post as always, Yvonne!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥