Friday, March 18, 2016

{REVIEW} The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski

Title: The Last Wish
Author: Andrzej Sapkowski
Series: The Witcher #1
Genre: (High) Fantasy, Fiction
Publication: January 1st, 1992
Rating: ★★★☆☆

Geralt was always going to stand out, with his white hair and piercing eyes, his cynicism and lack of respect for authority ... but he is far more than a striking-looking man. He's a witcher, with powers that make him a brilliant fighter and a merciless assassin - his targets are the vile fiends that ravage the land.

As guardian of the innocent, Geralt meets incestuous kings with undead daughters, vengeful djinns, shrieking harpies, lovelorn vampires and despondent ghouls. Many are pernicious, some are merely, and none are quite as they appear.
I first stumbled upon The Witcher because of the videogame The Witcher 3, which I ADORED. I was hooked immediately and therefore wanted to give the books a try as well.

While the book itself is really, really good and highly entertaining, I had a hard time getting into it at first. The writing style is so completely different to the books I usually read and it contained quite a lot of words I had to look up - mostly words from the Witcher universe, so it's not that bad. I was interested! Then again it was a book of short stories from Geralt's live which bothered me a bit ... the different stories were great to read but I missed "the whole" - you know, something that connects everything.

I'm almost tempted to say that I liked playing the videogame more, but then again this book wasn't even about it - it covered events before The Witcher 3 and since I haven't played the first 2 games I have no clue about them.

However, I have to say that I loved Dandelion! He's such a great character and as soon as he appeared in the book I liked it a lot more. He adds so much to the general feel with his sassy (and sometimes stupid) comments and made me laugh out loud a few times as well.

This is a quite short review, I know, but it's so hard to put everything into words. I liked it but some things disturbed me. I had a hard time getting into it but Dandelion was a page-turner. I'd say that if you're interested, just give it a try! It's not for everyone but if you love High Fantasy and maybe even played the games you might enjoy it. I'll definitely give the other books a try because I'm not ready yet to let go and give up.

★★★☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.