Tuesday, February 2, 2016

{REVIEW} Soundless by Richelle Mead

Title: Soundless
Author: Richelle Mead
Series: Stand-alone
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Mythology
Publication: November 10th, 2015
Rating: ★★☆☆☆

In a village without sound…

For as long as Fei can remember, no one in her village has been able to hear. Rocky terrain and frequent avalanches make it impossible to leave the village, so Fei and her people are at the mercy of a zipline that carries food up the treacherous cliffs from Beiguo, a mysterious faraway kingdom.

When villagers begin to lose their sight, deliveries from the zipline shrink. Many go hungry. Fei and all the people she loves are plunged into crisis, with nothing to look forward to but darkness and starvation.

One girl hears a call to action…

Until one night, Fei is awoken by a searing noise. Sound becomes her weapon.

She sets out to uncover what’s happened to her and to fight the dangers threatening her village. A handsome miner with a revolutionary spirit accompanies Fei on her quest, bringing with him new risks and the possibility of romance. They embark on a majestic journey from the peak of their jagged mountain village to the valley of Beiguo, where a startling truth will change their lives forever…

And unlocks a power that will save her people.
Some of you might know that I'm a huge Richelle Mead fan. I read her Vampire Academy series and immediately fell in love with the world and its characters, so when Bloodlines was announced you can imagine how excited I was! Adrian Ivashkov is one of my alltime favorite characters and together with Sydney ... they're life. One of my OTP's. I adore them so, so much. So yeah, when I heard Richelle was writing a stand-alone I was a little sceptical at first. With good reason, as it seems.

Knowing how amazingly talented Richelle is and the brilliant characters she created, I expected this to be so much more but was disappointed in the end.

It really pains me to write this because I'm used to praise her but ... the characters were only "okay". I couldn't connect with them and that they barely talked to each other made things even worse. Sure, there's some "dialogue" but it's in sign-form. Written like you're reading thoughts. I honestly didn't expect that I would be so annoyed by it but ... well, I was. I don't even know why. The first 100 pages were the most crucial part though. Barely anything happened and I had so much trouble to get through them - I felt like I was reading so slow even though the book only has 267 pages. That's really not much!

It had lots of potential! I was intrigued by the blurb and general idea of everything but it was not well carried out. The second half of the book was better, yes, but still didn't satisfy me. At least I started to like the characters a little more ... that's a start, no?

As of the plot I don't want to say too much ... there's not that much to tell anyway. In my opinion everything was too predictable and therefore didn't keep me excited and/or curious at all. At times I did enjoy reading it but after finishing the book ... I just didn't care. The characters, the world and story immediately vanished from my thoughts, which is NEVER a good sign, if you ask me.

Personally I didn't like it that much. Maybe it wasn't the right time to read it or maybe it's just not for me and someone else will love it. Who knows? If you're still intrigued you should check it out and form your own opinion but I wouldn't recommend it to my friends.

★★☆☆☆

14 comments:

  1. Now I just want to read it to see how bad it is. But who knows maybe I'll like it. \_(ツ)_/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're intrigued you should check it out, obviously! But I quickly noticed that I didn't like it ... I wouldn't buy a hardcover/paperback copy though, haha. :D

      Delete
  2. Oh dear, this is the second review from my favourite bloggers that didn't get blown away by this. I was really skeptical of it at first anyways, but now I definitely won't be picking it up. It does not sound like something I would enjoy, especially with the "meh" characters! Great review <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. favorite bloggers, hihihi. Merci beaucoup, Anissa! ♥ Honestly, I don't think you'd enjoy it so it's probably better this way. :/

      Delete
  3. I liked this one, though I think a factor that bumped up my rating was the narration (I listened to the audiobook). It was done really well. The book was slow though and not too much happened in bits. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I would've liked it more while listening to the audiobook as well ... everything probably came across better this way but oh well, not all books are for everyone. :D

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry to see that you didn't love this one. :/ I've been hearing mostly good things, though I've heard that the length being short is kind of annoying. I will probably still check it out because I'm curious!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did, really?! Wow! The length annoyed me too at first but then - and because I couldn't get into it - I wanted it to be over as fast as possible, haha. :D I hope you enjoy it though!

      Delete
  5. I keep seeing this book around, and I've been debating over whether to read it or. There seems to be a lot of mixed reviews! I haven't read anything by Richelle Mead yet, but when I do, I think I'll start on her VA series first and not this one.
    Great review!
    Erika @ Books, Stars, and the Pages in Between

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oohh, you should definitely start with Vampire Academy! It's BRILLIANT! One of my favorite series ever, as well as Bloodlines - the spin-off series. I hope you love it!! :D

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy this one! The synopsis and cover really caught my attention, but I've heard lots of people feeling the same as you. I don't think I'll be picking this one up anytime soon! Thank you for sharing your thoughts ☺

    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't miss anything if you don't pick it up soon, haha. Thank you, Denise! ♥

      Delete
  7. Oh, I'm so sad you didn't love this book, though I didn't either. I loved the characters, but I found it boring most of the time.
    Maybe Rachel's new series will be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was boring most of the time and the characters only got better in the second half of the book, I think. But yes, I hope her series will be better! :D

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥