Thursday, February 25, 2016

{REVIEW} A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

Title: A Monster Calls
Author: Patrick Ness
Series: Stand-alone
Genre: Middle Grade, Fantasy, Young Adult, Horror
Publication: May 5th, 2011
Rating: ★★★★★

The monster showed up after midnight. As they do.

But it isn’t the monster Conor’s been expecting. He’s been expecting the one from his nightmare, the one he’s had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming…

This monster is something different, though. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor.

It wants the truth.
Holy smokes, I'm SO GLAD I finally decided to read this beautiful book. Thanks to all my friends for "pushing" me to give it a try, it was well worth it! This is actually the first book I read by Patrick Ness but definitely won't be the last one. His writing style is incredibly addictive and so, so beautiful. I just fell in love with it and couldn't get my eyes off the pages the whole time.

"If you speak the truth, the monster whispered in his ear, you will be able to face whatever comes."

I don't want to tell you what this book is about. Not even a little bit because ... I think it's best if you go into this without an idea. Without any expectations. That's what I did and I loved it. Also, can I just quote the synopsis? "It's something different. Something wild." - for me it's the perfect way to describe this gorgeous books ... it plays with you, plants thoughts in your head and lets them all loose. It makes you emotional and will let you think about a lot of things, whether you like it or not.

The book is shelfed as Horror on Goodreads and I kind of agree. It didn't really scare me - not in the usual way, at least - but since it's a middle grade story I can imagine it to be scary to younger readers. And if it's not the monster itself, the topic definitely is. There's so much truth in this book and I adored every little second of it! The illustrations were amazing - they add so much to the story! It's one of the most beautiful books I own ... I don't know if they're in the paperback version as well but the hardcover is worth its price!

"You do not write your life with words...You write it with actions. What you think is not important. It is only important what you do."

God, I don't even know if this review makes any sense but I'm still not 100% able to form coherent thoughts and write them down. I finished A Monster Calls within a day, in one sitting even, and have been listening to the sound of rain and thunder along with an orchestra from an app which made this whole adventure even more perfect! If you can, read this on a rainy day and make sure you have nothing planned so you can dedicate yourself completely to the story. And have tissues by your side! 100% recommended!

★★★★★

16 comments:

  1. Omg this is amazing! It makes me so happy you liked this♥ It has been on my tbr for so long now and I need to get into a Patrick Ness book soon :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, get this one as soon as possible! It was AMAZING and the illustrations inside are gorgeous, I tell you! It's such a beautiful book! <3

      Delete
  2. Amazing review! ♥ I seriously adore this book! It's simply wonderful. The story is beautiful and heartbreaking and the illustrations just add to the story. I even ended up crying, which doesn't happen often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Anna! ♥ I also had tears in my eyes, the ending was just UGH GOD. I really, really loved this! <3

      Delete
    2. Have you seen the movie trailer? It looks amazing! *____* I especially love the monsters voice(Liam Neeson), I just find it perfect. I'm super exited for the movie! :D

      Delete
    3. I have, yes!!! That's also why I wanted to read the book IMMEDIATELY and had to get it! I'm also SO EXCITED - it looked amazing! :D

      Delete
  3. I have this one on my TBR! :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then get to it asap because it was great! :D

      Delete
  4. SO GLAD YOU READ IT AND LOVED IT. So happy you could get your hands on the illustrated version because it is truly spectacular. I'm just SO GLAD you loved it.
    -Monica @ Tomes Project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MONICA!! I was already waiting for your input, haha. I'M SO GLAD you "pushed" me into reading this! ♥

      Delete
  5. I already wanted to read this book so so so sooo badly and now I want it even more after reading this review. Just haven't been able to get my hands on it yet. But hopefully soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully soon, I agree! And please get the Hardcover edition, it's SO WORTH its price!! Unbelievably beautiful, I tell you! <3

      Delete
    2. Oooh thanks for the tip! I already checked it out on TBD and the hardcover isn't soooo expensive so I'm definitely tempted now. lol

      Delete
  6. I actually always thought Patrick Ness wrote more contemporary books - seems like I was wrong! This sounds so interesting - I haven't read a horror novel in ages! Your description of it as being better to go in with no idea of what it involves, makes me think of We Were Liars by E. Lockhart :D Have you ever read that book? And if so, is that kind of what this book is like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, haven't read that one so I can't even say if it's "alike" or not ... I just think you should discover what it really is about WHILE reading it. That's honestly the best you can do. :D

      Delete
  7. I've actually already read this, but I read it when I was a lot younger (when it was first released), so I can't remember much about it. I still own the book, so I'll have to re-read it soon! If I ever flick through it, I see it's such a beautiful book - the illustrations are so beautiful too. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! ♥

    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.