Tuesday, February 16, 2016

How to: DIY Harry Potter (pencil) wands

Hello everyone! I recently made some Harry Potter pencil wands and since some of you (and obviously me too) loved them so much, I thought I'd share a little tutorial with you! I saw a few pictures on the internet and wanted to give it a try myself, so here's how I made them. Sounds good? Awesome, let's get started! *

What you'll need


Materials used for (pencil) wands

  • pencils / chopsticks or something similar
  • hot glue gun + glue sticks
  • brushes
  • acrylic paint

What to do - step by step


It's actually fairly easy and self-explanatory but I'll walk you through everything, just in case. Before we start, prepare your materials and think of a general design you want to make - or don't think at all and just do something random.

Heat up your glue gun and put glue all over the upper part of your pencil to create the "handle" - it will look weird but it's perfect this way. Once you color it, it'll look better.

If you want some extra details, do them now as well but be sure that the handle (if you made one) has dried a bit before you put on another "coat" of hot glue. In my case, I added some spirals or for the elder wand the little balls. You can also put little pearls onto your wand, just stick them to the hot glue (let it cool/set for a couple of seconds before doing this) - really, you can do whatever YOU want!

When the glue has set a bit you can roll it between your hands to smooth everything out or just use your fingers to bring it into form. BE CAREFUL though, it's really hot! (I had to feel it myself. *ahem*)

I used this as the "handle" and added a spiral round one pencil after it dried almost completely

Now you paint! Hot glue dries pretty quickly so you can almost immediately jump to this part. I used different colors of acrylic paint to create the desired look. Mix some colors, only use one or even create some shadow/light effects if you're up for it. Just go crazy! :D

Paint them in brown, black or whatever color you want - add little details to make it look unique

Once they're all dried you're done! You can also spray sealent on - that not only seals the paint but also makes them a bit more shiny (I had none at home, that's why mine look matte). Here are my finished pencil wands & the elder wand I made for my brother:

pencil wands in different variations

The elder wand and little Voldemort

There you go! Your very own Harry Potter pencil wands! :D


* I'm NOT the genius who came up with this idea but couldn't find a proper source to credit the owner. This is just how I made them. If someone knows the creator, let me know and I link back/credit accordingly!

7 comments:

  1. OMG! *____* These are beautiful! ♥
    (Definitely going to be making my own, when I have the time.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like them! Hopefully yours will turn out just as you want them to be!! :D

      Delete
  2. This is so cool!
    It would be an awesome gift for a Harry Potter fan! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh yes! And if you make wands they'd be perfect for a Harry Potter themed party, haha. :D

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. TRY IT! I'd love to see how yours turn out!! :D

      Delete
  4. :D I'm taking this to school for library week :DDDD

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥