Thursday, February 18, 2016

5 reasons why Vicious should be your next read! | {REVIEW} Vicious by V.E. Schwab

Title: Vicious
Author: V.E. Schwab
Series: Vicious #1
Genre: Adult, Young Adult, Fantasy, Sci-Fi
Publication: September 24th, 2013
Rating: ★★★★★

A masterful tale of ambition, jealousy, desire, and superpowers.

Victor and Eli started out as college roommates—brilliant, arrogant, lonely boys who recognized the same sharpness and ambition in each other. In their senior year, a shared research interest in adrenaline, near-death experiences, and seemingly supernatural events reveals an intriguing possibility: that under the right conditions, someone could develop extraordinary abilities. But when their thesis moves from the academic to the experimental, things go horribly wrong.

Ten years later, Victor breaks out of prison, determined to catch up to his old friend (now foe), aided by a young girl whose reserved nature obscures a stunning ability. Meanwhile, Eli is on a mission to eradicate every other super-powered person that he can find—aside from his sidekick, an enigmatic woman with an unbreakable will. Armed with terrible power on both sides, driven by the memory of betrayal and loss, the archnemeses have set a course for revenge—but who will be left alive at the end?
I first read the little prequel Warm Up and man, was I hooked! The writing style immediately got to me - it's easy to read and absolutely addictive - perfect for keeping my interest. I finally understand all the hype around Schwab's books. IT'S GLORIOUS. Everyone should read this and if you're hesitating, here are 5 reasons why you should go get Vicious RIGHT NOW!

1. The Characters

When characters have different layers to them and you can't quite tell if they're good or evil, that's the best thing ever. They're in this grey zone - never just good or bad - which makes everything SO MUCH BETTER. V.E. Schwab's characters were like this and I LOVED IT. Victor and Eli but also all the sidekicks and not-so-important characters were really well written. Honestly, I loved everyone or well, for some I loved to hate them. Fantastic. Plus, can we just appreciate these gorgeous trading cards?! PERFECT.



2. The Abilities (freaking awesome!)

OH MY GOD. I never knew I needed a book about superpowers this much in my life! Most characters had unique abilities - which were all PERFECTLY described, by the way - and made me so jealous because I'm a weak human being that eats cake while reading and clutches the book tightly to her chest when she's finished. Sigh. But seriously, it was amazing to read about the different powers and what each character could do with them. Or better: what they used them for and how far they'd go. Now please, can I have my own superpower(s)?!

3. Interesting Relationships

There's so much going on between all the characters and it's incredible how much I cared about each little detail! With every new chapter new things were revealed and it only got better. Victor and Eli were best friend at first, then they were rivals and went from there to enemies and are now nemesis. SO INTERESTING. I also adored the relationship between Victor, Sydney and Mitch ... SO SWEET! I was anticipating their chapters together and was so, so happy whenever I got a glimpse of them. I'm 100% invested in all the relationships and that's a rariety. Just sayin'.

4. The thrilling Plot

I don't want to go into much detail about the plot ... so, just let it consume you. Obviously it's about Victor and Eli but it's so unique and different to anything I've read before because the characters are morally grey and YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT. I loved the little flashbacks to their past when everything was still alright and together with the "now" it just made perfect sense. There was not one moment where I thought this was boring, nope. V.E. Schwab kept me turning the pages faster than I read them ... that's what I want in a book.

5. It's a great book

That's basically everything you need to know. It's great. More than great, actually. V.E. Schwab combines all of these points perfectly, which makes this an adventure you shouldn't miss. The writing style is pretty cool as well, so there's even more reason to check this out! And if you still need one more reason, have a look at this gorgeous cover ... if that doesn't convince you then I don't know. :D


So yes, I totally recommend reading this beauty! The review is not in its usual form but Vicious deserves to stand out because it was that good. I'm offically a part of Schwab's fan club now and already can't wait to read her other books!

★★★★★

22 comments:

  1. YES!!! This is such a good way to talk about this novel. It is one of my favorites ever *ever* and I'm so glad you liked it! Victor, Mitch and Sydney's chapters were my favorites too. I loved how the flashbacks of all the characters were woven in so well. I never got confused, even though the book jumps from Victor and Eli's past to Sydney and Serena's to Mitch's etc... So many plot events that I didn't see coming, and I loved that feeling of being on the edge of my seat. Don't you think that this would be perfect for a movie? The language and quick pace of it would lend well to the screen if someone did it right! ahh i love this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know how else to express my love! And yes, I loved that too - I was never confused or didn't know what's happening but the plot twists were EXACTLY what I needed! I think it would be REALLY cool as a movie - it has so much potential and could even be an "unusal" movie ... great, now I want this, haha. :D

      Delete
  2. Vicious totally should be my next read because I've been wanting to read it for a while lol, but I can't find it at the library! So I'm waiting to see if they'll get it. But every time I see people talk about the well-written, grey characters I get so antsy to read it already! And gah! Now I'm dying to know about the relationships too. I really am looking forward to reading this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicious would even be worth it to buy the actual book! I mean, isn't it gorgeous? I like this cover a lot more but the other one looks kinda cool too. I really hope your library will get it soon!! :D

      Delete
  3. This novel sounds yummy! All 5 things that you mentioned made me want to add it to my TBR and read it. I have heard so much about this book, seems like I should finally give in and read it already lol. Awesome review, Yvonne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEEES! Give in, Lucia! Just read it! Have you read her other books? I'm sure that if you liked them, you'll love this one too! Thanks so much! ♥

      Delete
  4. I LOVED VICIOUS SO MUCH!! I agree with everything you've said here; everyone needs to read this! I adored how complex the characters were, and the superpowers were freaking amazing. I plot kept me guessing the whole way through, too!

    Amazing review, Yvonne! I loved this style of review ☺
    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise! I'm glad you liked it as much as I did ... honestly, I didn't expect to love it so much but I get it now. The hype around Schwab is well deserved! Can't wait to read A Darker Shade of Magic soon, gaaaah! :D

      Delete
  5. .. How have I never heard of this before? Well, I definitely need to read it soon now! The way you describe it, it sounds AWESOME. NEEED!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU NEEED IT, YES! It has been on my TBR list for soooo long and I'm really glad I finally read it. It's amazing. <3

      Delete
  6. I keep hearing that this author is so amazing and that her books are amazing and yet I sit back and let her stuff pass me by. I must be crazy. This review totally tells me I'm missing out. Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it comes across like this, haha. And I hope that you're finally giving in and read a book by Schwab - I can only recommend it! :P

      Delete
  7. Vicious sounds so good, Yvonne! I've only read A Darker Shade of Magic by VE Schwab, but I remember that being fantastic, with the characters and plot also being fantastic! I've got Vicious on my TBR now - thanks for reviewing, Yvonne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was? I have yet to read A Darker Shade of Magic but am already SO EXCITED to get to it asap! I hope you'll like Vicious too! ♥

      Delete
  8. Ahh, Yvonne! I'm so excited to read this and I'm so glad that you loved it! I hope you get to read ADSOM soon, I think you'll love it too! :D Great review my dear, loved the images! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, promise! I have a feeling that I'll love it, yes ... no idea why I put it aside for so long but I'll get to it! Thank you! ♥

      Delete
  9. YVONNE I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS BOOK BUT NOW ALL I WANT TO DO IS READ IT <3 all your reasons totally made me want to read Vicious like RIGHT NOW. I love the concept of going from BFFs to nemesis'. I'm convinced V.E. Schwab is a magician of the best kind- because if you loved her characters and story in Vicious as much as I loved ADSOM, she appears to be just amazing. Great review, Yvonne!
    -Gabi, Let's Gab About Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. READ IT!!! It was honestly so good and I was obsessed with the characters, I just couldn't stop thinking about them and the superpowers and the plot and and and - SO GOOD, I TELL YOU!!

      Delete
  10. I completely agree 110% Yvonne. This was such an amazing and well-written book and I'm so glad you liked it as much as I did. I loved the emphasis it had on how no one person is completely "good" or completely "evil" - I wasn't expecting that and found it really thought-provoking. Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love these kind of books ... although I think it's one of my firsts? Not sure if Aaron Warner counts as a character like Eli and Victor but he also did bad things. (I JUST ADORE WARNER) I'm so excited for her other books now, VE Schwab's writing style is REALLY addictive! :D

      Delete
  11. Really, isn't this just such a fantastic novel? I was so sad when it ended, because I could have gone on reading it forever and ever. I really love how ambiguous and gray the characters are. It makes for such an interesting story, especially when they're equipped with crazy powers. Lovely post! ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *nods excitedly* YES. I loved absolutely everything about this ... it felt so good to read about these characters because they're different to your normal MC's. I'm glad you liked it too!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.