Tuesday, January 5, 2016

{REVIEW} These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner

Title: These Broken Stars
Author: Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
Series: Starbound #1
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Science Fiction
Publication: December 10th, 2013
Rating: ★★★☆☆ +0.5

Luxury spaceliner Icarus suddenly plummets from hyperspace into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive – alone. Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a cynical war hero. Both journey across the eerie deserted terrain for help. Everything changes when they uncover the truth.
I have no idea how long this book has been sitting on my shelves, demanding to be read but I finally managed to get to it just now. I want to be honest with you guys ... after so many people recommended me this series and told me to read it asap, I expected to be blown away. Umm, so I wasn't. It's my first book by both, Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner, and even though I was a bit disappointed, I really, really liked the writing style, so I'm looking forward to reading some more books by these two.

How would I describe this book? One word: Survival. I was worried it would be a lot about space (still not sure if I like this topic) but it actually was kinda cool. Being stranded on a planet, seemingly all alone and where strange things are happening ... well, it's freaking scary but also very interesting.

"And there it is, against all hope, like the sun peeking out from behind the clouds. The smallest hint of a smile."

The two main characters, Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen, were both likeable. At first I wasn't sure about Lilac because I just couldn't stand her attitude. I'm glad she started to adapt and didn't act like a spoiled rich girl after a while. That's also when I really started to like her! Tarver on the other hand was great from the beginning - he was caring, protective, sassy, sarcastic and generally just an awesome guy. I also liked how he tried to make Lilac smile, no matter in what condition or situation they were ...it was too cute to handle! Especially once things got ... well, hotter? I JUST ADORED THEM. Their romance was really slow-burn and not that typically cheesy insta-love we get a lot nowadays. It's based on their friendship/companionship, which I loved! Their bantering made me smile most of the time and I just couldn't help but ship these two. They're adorable!

As of the plot ... up to the middle part of the book nothing sigificantly happened, I think. I didn't quite know where it was going and if there would be a big revelation or something but despite the lack of action - except for a few scenes here and there - it (mostly) wasn't boring. This whole "hearing voices" and "whispers" thing confused me, to be honest - what or who was this? What did they want? Why did they do all these things? I had more questions than I got answers.

"You don't mention death when it's hovering near someone you love. You don't want t attract the reaper's attention."

The ending was a little bit weird and in comparison to the rest of the book it almost seemed a bit too rushed. There were some things happening that I didn't really like. Actually I'm not sure if I didn't like it. It was just strange but also interesting ... Does it make sense? I guess I expected this book to be something else - it's not bad but didn't blow me away either. If you ask me, it's still worth reading - give it a chance and forge your own opinion.

★★★☆☆ +0.5

14 comments:

  1. I've heard about this book and have been quite curious to know what it's like. I'm generally not too much of a fan of space things, so I didn't jump at this and after reading your review it's probably going to continue to sit on my TBR for a while haha. I like the sounds of the romance between them, I love slow burn and romances based on friendship! Perhaps one day I will finally read this. Great review!! :D ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same for me - I usually don't like space things but this one really wasn't that much about it. It's more about survival and well ... yeah, that's basically it. It wasn't bad but I'm hoping the other books of the series will be better! :D

      Delete
  2. I read this book couple of weeks ago and you just summed up my fellings perfectly. I expected to be blown away, but I was not. I liked writing and characters, but ending weirded me out on so many levels... So yeah, even though I did not love These Broken Stars, I already started second books in series. Hopefully I will like it better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! The ending was super confusing!! This whole "whispers" thing and then Lilac ... it just didn't make sense for me, I don't know. I really hope you'll like the second one more! :D

      Delete
  3. Loving the new background!
    Mh, I've been wanting to read this for a long time (mostly because of the cover I have to admit), but I think I'm not going to pick it up. I tend to dislike books with poor pacing, even though I love everything space-related, this doesn't seem worth the trouble. :/

    - Jen from The Bookavid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, thanks so much! :D ♥
      I also only got it because of the cover, haha. It's just too pretty! It barely had anything to do with space, in my opinion - which was good for me! Some parts were indeed kind of slow ... so yeah, if you don't like these things, I probably wouldn't read it either. Then again loads of other people will probably tell you it's AMAZING ... idk. If you're REALLY interested, just go for it - maybe you'll love it! :D

      Delete
  4. I'll admit, the cover on this one makes me go oooh pretty! That being said, I think I'll have about the same response to the book as you did. I'll just wait to see if you enjoy book two more :P Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover was why I originally bought it, haha. I'm very curious for the other books though, hopefully THEY will blow me away. :P

      Delete
  5. I love slow-burn romances <3 Insta-love is one of my biggest pet peeves! The lagging plot makes me just a tiny bit wary, but I'd like to read this one! Great review, and you have a lovely blog :)

    Ally @ The Scribbling Sprite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ally! ♥ I'm not a huge fan of insta-love, ugh. It's mostly annoying and just ... weird. I hope you'll like it if you decide to read it someday! :D

      Delete
  6. Good Morning Yvonne,
    first of all - I really like your new design! Its fresh and its an eye catcher - very good choice!!

    Its funny how These Broken Stars splits the readers - I really loved it and yes I totally understand that this whisper thing was a bit strange but I enjoyed the whole conversation, those verbal exchanges between Tarver and Lilac too much to be really disturbed by it. Its not a book to deeply explore the plot ;-) its more fun-reading. I recently posted a review as well and will add your link as I mention other blogs that have reviewed the book as well.

    Have a great day
    Kati@ZeitzuLesen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, thank you, Katja! I'm so glad everyone seems to like the new design - I tried so hard and am proud it turned out so good, haha. :D ♥

      The conversations weren't even the problem - I enjoyed these too! Lilac and Tarver (I always want to write "Tavern", ugh!) were adorable and I shipped them ... it was just too boring sometimes, idk. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much though! :D

      And thanks again for linking me to your review! <3

      Delete
  7. I loved this one, so I am glad you enjoyed it too - even if you didn't necessarily love it. I'm really curious to see what you think of the sequels if you decide to read them. :) Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Zoe! ♥ I will definitely read the other books ... just don't know when, haha. TOO MANY UNREAD BOOKS ON MY SHELVES, AHHH!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.