Thursday, January 21, 2016

{REVIEW} The Healer by Virginia Boecker

Title: The Healer
Author: Virginia Boecker
Series: The Witch Hunter #0.5
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Publication: 11th August, 2015
Rating: ★★★★☆

John Raleigh, one of the youngest and most talented magical healers in all of Anglia, can relieve any ailment except, perhaps, his own broken heart. Since the deaths of his mother and sister who burned at the stake for witchcraft, John has spent his nights lost in nightmares and his days drowning in melancholy. That is until he's summoned to the home of Nicholas Perevil, the most powerful wizard in the kingdom, who suffers from a mysterious illness that has confounded every other healer.

John immediately knows that this is no normal sickness. Nicholas, it seems, is falling apart because of a dangerous curse, and their only clue for a cure is a single name—Elizabeth Grey.

Who is this girl and how has she become mixed up with such dark magic? John must put these questions aside when Elizabeth is brought to him from the palace's prison on the brink of death. It will take everything he has to save her, and to save Nicholas, but perhaps he'll manage to save his heart along the way.
Obviously this is going to be a super short review, since the novella was only 32 pages long. Up until a few days before I started it I didn't even know this little insight into John's life existed but someone on Twitter told me about it and OF COURSE I had to get it immediately!

It's no secret that I absolutely adored The Witch Hunter and that I can't wait for book 2 to be released. The ones who read my review will also know that John is extremely gorgeous and that I love him loads - he's such a charming and loving guy! I can't wait to read more of him in the next book.

This novella is about him and his past, what he's been through and everything that happened before Elizabeth met all the others. I found all this super interesting, even though also heartbreaking. I didn't know John had such a hard past and lost people he loved - maybe I overread it in the actual book? Was it revealed there? I don't remember! I felt bad for him and just wanted to hold him really, really tight ... all the thoughts he had, well it was sad. Poor John.

What's my conclusion? Definitely a must-read for everyone who loved the first book and couldn't get enough of our precious John! Even though it's very short and I wish there would've been some more pages, it was great to read out of his perspective.

★★★★☆

6 comments:

  1. Ooooooh! I didn't even know this novella existed!! I loved The Witch Hunter, and John, (so much love for John! :D) and knowing the novella is from his perspective... aahhh, I need to read it! Pity it's only 32 pages, though. Oh well, I still need to read it :) So glad you enjoyed it, and great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEES! John is incredible! *heart eyes* ♥ Actually, there's another novella coming out ... some time. I read it on Twitter and apparently it'll be about Schuyler - SO MUCH LOOOVE! I'm super excited!!!

      Here's what Virginia said btw: "Currently writing Novella #2 and i'll just say it: Schuyler is my favorite. He's deliciously irreverent & he has secrets, people. Sexy ones."

      Delete
  2. Ugh, Yvonne! I NEED to start this series and your review only makes me want to even more GAH. I need to get my hands on it. John sounds sooo swoon-worthy! Amazing review, my dear!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have time till June to finish the book and this novella. :P GOOOO READ IT NOW! ♥

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of this series before but I am so curious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should start it! I liked the first book a lot and this little novella was short but very interesting! :D

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥