Thursday, December 31, 2015

Reflecting 2015 + Top 15 books of the year


As I did last year I wanna conclude this year with some of my favorite books I read in 2015! Trust me, when I tell you that it has been a torture selecting those 15 chosen ones ... I read so many great books and "only" picking 15 was very, very hard. I also want to reflect on my bookish resolutions I wrote down last year and see what I accomplished and what not. Let's get started! :D

Top 15 books of 2015


  1. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
  2. When it Rains by Lisa De Jong
  3. Throne of Glass (series) by Sarah J. Maas
  4. The One Thing by Marci Lyn Curtis
  5. Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
  6. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
  7. Shutter by Courtney Alameda
  8. Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover
  9. This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp
  10. Making Faces by Amy Harmon
  11. Isla & the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins
  12. An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
  13. The Contradiction of Solitude by Meredith A. Walters
  14. The Witch Hunter by Virginia Boecker
  15. The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

Alright, I have to say something about The Contradiction of Solitude because I'm still NOT sure if it belongs on that list or not. On Goodreads I originally rated it with 4.5 stars or none ... this was one of the most disturbing and twisted books I've ever read. If not even THE twisted and darkest one. However, it's really unique and was interesting to read ... *sigh* My review was a mess too, so I'm not sure. Whatever. Also, I got an eARC for This Is Where It Ends a whiiiiile back but "enjoyed" is so much, that I had to include it here, even though it isn't even out yet. A very, very good book with a topic that's all too present these days.

Bookish resolutions of 2014


Let's move on to my bookish resolutions of 2014! I came up with 4 things I wanted to accomplish/change about my blogging/reading behaviour and now that the year is over, I think it's time to reflect and see how I did, right? You can also check out the original post along with my top 14 books of 2014 for more details!

  • Beat my Goodreads challenge
  • Re-read at least 1 book
  • Finish 5 series
  • Improve my blog/reviews/posts

Seems easy enough, I thought. Well, maybe except for the last one. Anyway, I've looked through my blog, Goodreads and everywhere else I post to see if I completed ANY of these points. Did I, you might wanna know now? YES, I FREAKING DID!

Goodreads challenge

I was part of quite a few challenges this year (which I never did before!) and even though I didn't complete ALL of them and cheated a little here and there, I'm surprised at how well I did. Seriously, I wasn't that bad! For my Goodreads challenge I ought to finish 80 books after reading 79 last year and I'm happy to say that I completed my goal - even though it was a close call. As of my other challenges, I think I'll do another post for them, so stay tuned!

Re-reading books

Well, I ... kind of forgot this one? I'm terrible at re-reading, I admit it. I think I only ever re-read ONE book - Shatter Me. Don't even ask me why I chose that one (I love Ignite Me SO MUCH MORE) but actually I was trying to read the whole series again and failed miserably. I just remember books too well and get bored really easily because I know what's going to happen - in the meantime I could finish a NEW book and let myself get surprised by plot twists and awesome new characters. HOW DO PEOPLE DO THIS?! Tell me your secrets! How can you reread a book you've already read without getting bored? I WANNA KNOW! *sigh* So yeah, I failed that one.

Finishing 5 series

Can I cheat here a bit? Let's start with what I DEFINITELY finished! If it counts (for me it does) I finished the Selection series - well, at least the story of Maxon and America. All in all very enjoyable although I was disappointed in the second book - still ended up giving it a high rating because it's ridiculously addictive, ugh! The next series is very dear to my heart and just thinking back to when I read this makes me miss the characters SO MUCH ... Bloodlines! Adrian Ivashkov will forever be one of my alltime favorite characters! I also finished the Gardella Vampire Chronicles, Penryn & the End of Days and Stephanie Perkins Anna & the French Kiss series (although technically they're all stand-alones but whatever). Now the cheating thing ... I read Anna Dressed in Blood and Girl of Nightmares - clearly a duology but does it count as a "series" as well? I'm not sure, I'd almost say no? Either way, I fulfilled this task, wohoo!

Improving my blog/posts

This last one is the one I'm most unsure about. Honestly, I can't answer that. I feel like I'm doing the same as last year but it's been fun and I have a few lovely people that actually comment on the things I write here, so there must be SOME people that like what I write. I guess that's a good sign and even though I didn't increase my follower base by much I'm still incredibly happy to have found such amazing bloggers/people through this. You all really mean a lot to me and I can't thank you enough for reading/commenting/sharing my posts. Thank you. ♥

Blogging & other favorites


 
  • I've started my little #bookstagram series in March, where I introduce you to beautiful accounts that I follow and that I feel like you'd all love as well.


  • In September I changed my URL from "thebookishpanda" to A World Between Folded Pages.


  • In 2015 I also ordered my first bookish stuff - I'm speaking about mugs and all that awesomeness - and discovered a few new gorgeous shops! I definitely want to highlight Evie Seo's Society6 store because I got my beautiful "Reading Fox" mug from there and am IN LOVE with it! Lauren's Bookworm Boutique store has also pretty adorable stuff and it's where I got my "Sleep Less, Read More" pillow from!


Favorite blogs in 2015


Okay, so I'm 99% sure I'll forget A LOT of people that I originally wanted to feature in this part but if I do, please don't be mad at me! I love you all loads! ♥

Firstly, there's Anissa @ She Reads Too Much! I found out about her blog not that long ago ... how long, Anissa? A month, two maybe? It feels like I know you for such a long time though! It just clicked, you know? She's such an amazing person and I love fangirling with her but also talking in general - there's always so much fun involved and I'm super, super glad I got to know this girl! She writes amazing reviews, has a beautiful blog (thanks again for the xmas design, sweetie!) and so many great ideas. You should all head over to her blog ... after you finished reading this post. :P

Bookfever

Next up is ... Stephanie @ Bookfever! Again, I don't remember exactly when I found out about her but it feels like forever as well - in a good way. She's such a sweet girl and I love her blog a lot - she reviews a lot of Adult books and even though it's usually not my thing I highly enjoy reading them nonetheless. One of her favorite fandoms is Doctor Who (I started watching it recently) so I already know we'll have looooads to fangirl about, haha. :D



Book Freak Revelations
A huge favorite of mine is also JM from Book Freak Revelations! We mostly communicate via Twitter and ... can I just say that I adore this guy? JM, you rock! You've been such a great friend to me and I love talking to you about all the things we love - I'm incredibly grateful to know you! To the people who don't know him: He writes amazing reviews on his blog and hosts fantastic bookish Twitter chats where I got to know loads of other great bloggers - it's always a blast when he's involved! <3

Cornerfolds

Tracy from Cornerfolds is a truly inspiring person - she encouraged me to participate in a reading challenge, which was a first for me this year, and writes great posts on her blog! They're really interesting, make you think about certain topics and bring out awesome discussions. I highly enjoyed reading her blog throughout this year and will definitely continue in 2016!



All These Lives I Live
I also want to tell you about Maaike from All These Lives I Live! I'm in love with her reviews and the way she writes them. Her "writing style" immediately makes you want to read a book. She also describes her feelings and thoughts so well. Recently she started her own bookstagram on IG and already takes AMAZING pictures! Can I be any more in love? I don't think so! Please go check them out!


Tomes Project
And the last one - although there are definitely more blogs I follow & love - is Monica @ Tomes Project. Amazing posts, very interesting reviews to books that are on my TBR list and her super cool "Etsy Spotlight" series! She's also a really nice person and I'm very, very happy to have found her blog - I'm sure you'll find many posts on there that you'll also like, so be sure to check it out!

_______________________________________________________

It's been a great year! I got to know so many amazing people that I definitely don't want to miss - I'm very much looking forward to 2016 with you together and hope you'll all stick around for another year. THANK YOU SO MUCH! ♥ *hugs everyone* 

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

19 comments:

  1. Awww, you're so sweet to mention me! ♥ You better keep me updated about Docor Who when you watch more. ;)
    Also glad to see The Witch Hunter on your list. I feel like it doesn't get a lot of love. I can't wait for the second book!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! ♥ And I definitely will - we also have to talk about the Sherlock Xmas special once we watched it. :P

      Delete
  2. Woah, it sounds like you had an amazing 2015! You seem to have read loads of great books. I read An Ember in the Ashes this year too, and it was so good! I thought the writing was beautiful, and I'm so excited for the sequel :D

    I'm so glad you achieved your goals! I'm so happy you completed your Goodreads goal (always the best feeling to see the bar completed), and it's awesome that you managed to complete the other reading challenges too. This year is going to be my first year taking part in reading challenges (I'm doing 3 including Goodreads), and I'm super excited to start! I'm really hoping I won't forget, and actually might be able to finish, because I don't have faith in my memory to remember to add the post links/actually reading the books, haha! XD

    Thanks for all these blog recommendations! I haven't heard of any of them, so I've had some more blogs to follow, which is one of my favourite things! All of the bloggers mentioned seem so lovely, so I look forward to reading what they have to say in the future :)

    Happy new year, Yvonne! I hope 2016 is a great year for you, and that you manage to read even more great books. I wish you all the best, and thanks for sharing how 2015 has been for you! :D
    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I just hug you first? I LOOOVE this comment! Thanks a lot for taking the time to write this! ♥

      An Ember in the Ashes was AMAZING! So excited for the second book already, I'm really looking forward to reading more about each character! :D

      YES! Such a great feeling, haha. I wish you good luck for your challenges - it might be hard at first but it's also a looot of fun ... especially if you're buddy-reading a book with someone! (I'm always open for that! :P)

      Yay! I'm glad you wanna check them out - they're amazing people and have great content on their blogs! <3

      You're so sweet! All the best for you in 2016 as well! I wish you loads of books to read, haha. :D ♥

      Delete
  3. Wonderful wrap up, Yvonne! I love your list of favorite books of 2015 :) Btw, I love your new blog design :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beatrice! The lovely Anissa made it for me and I love it a lot! :D Happy New Year!! ♥

      Delete
  4. Six of Crows also made it to my top reads of 2015 list and I also love Anissa @ She Reads Too Much (she writes awesome posts) :) I wish you happy new year and plenty of great reads in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it didn't make it to anyone's list who read it this year, haha. SoC was brilliant! ♥ I'm glad you like Anissa's blog as well, I can only agree with you! :D

      Happy New Year & all the best for you! :D

      Delete
    2. Just gonna jump in here and bear hug you both :D ♥

      Delete
  5. I'm sure you hear this a lot, but your pictures are gorgeous! I so wish I could get such nice-looking pictures, though I might also be too lazy. :D

    As for your favorites of the year, I'm with you on everything that I've read--though I've GOT to read Six of Crows and An Ember in the Ashes, like, now. How has so much time passed?

    I hope 2016 is awesome for you!!
    Rachel @ Paper Cuts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goood, thanks so much, Rachel! ♥ *hugs* It definitely takes some time and I'm mostly annoyed with the light, hahaha. :D

      YES YOU DO! These 2 are such amazing books! Especially SoC - have you read the Grisha trilogy? I hope you have! If not, be sure to read that as well. :P

      All the best for you in 2016 as well, Rachel!! <3

      Delete
  6. Aah, ACOTAR was definitely on my list and if I'd read ToG in 2015 it would have been there too :D I've got a copy of Six of Crows from the library and after all the wonderful things I've heard about it I can't wait to start.

    These days I tend to reread books that I have on my phone and generally only parts of the book, not the whole thing. I haven't read Ignite Me but I loved Shatter Me :)

    I hope you have a wonderful 2016, Yvonne!

    Zareena @ The Slanted Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MOST LIKELY. ToG was really, really good! I'll try to read the third book as soon as possible and I'm already SO EXCITED! :D

      You definitely need to start Six of Crows ASAP!!! It's amazing and I loved it so, so much! Curious to know what you'll think about it!

      OH MY WOOORD. You haven't read Ignite Me? Tell me you love Warner (as much as I do!) and if you do ... just read it. Please, do me the favor, drop everything and READ THE BOOK! You'll love it! It's the best one, I think and is so, so sweet and amazing and ugh! SO MUCH LOOOVE! :D ♥

      Delete
  7. UM. PERMISSION TO FREAK THE FLIP OUT BECAUSE YOU ARE SO AMAZING AND SWEET AND THIS SENTENCE NEEDED TO BE IN CAPSLOCK!!?!?!?!? *hugs you until you cannot breath, but in a cute way*

    Yvonne, thank you so so much! You are such an amazing person - getting to know you has been amazing and you have quickly become one of my best blogging friends! We just click! Haha, can't believe it's only been so short since we've known each other! Crazy. ♥ You know that your blog is one of my all time favrouites and I stalk you on a regular basis *smiles innocently* ALSO, whenever I get a comment from you I AM SO HAPPY because I know it will be so amazing and I will agree with it *nods*

    You have so many top reads that I have sitting on my shelf but have not read yet, shame on me!! I really need to read them xD

    Happy New Year dear Yvonne, looking forward to another great year of book blogging with amazing friends like you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GOOOSH, ANISSA!!! I love your comments so much!!! They always make me smile and GAH! *hugs you back* ♥

      I can only agree with you - it's been so much fun since we got to know each other and well, blogging wouldn't be the same anymore, haha. I JUST NEED YOUR POSTS & COMMENTS! :D

      All the best for 2016 for you, my dear! ♥

      Delete
  8. Everyone is making me want to read Six of Crows so badly! I've heard nothing but good things, but for some reason I just didn't get to it this year. I totally agree with you about the Selection series! The second book was just okay, but I really liked them overall!

    Happy 2016! I just followed via GFC and I look forward to more of your posts!

    Ally @ The Scribbling Sprite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, oh my god! I hope you'll get to it as soon as possible - have you read the Grisha trilogy? :D

      The Selection is kind of addictive ... the books weren't THAT good but I couldn't stop reading. It was the same with "The Heir" and even though I would've prefered the series ended with "The One" I enjoyed that one too ... oh well. :D

      Thanks so much, Ally! It means a lot to me & I hope to see you around a few times! ♥

      Delete
  9. OMG, YVONNE. I feel so bad. Somehow this post got lost in a sea of NY-posts and I only got to reading it now.. And whoa, THANK YOU. <3 You are by far the sweetest blogger I know and I can't mention enough how incredibly appreciated you make me feel. Featuring my blog in this post really means the world. I cannot (yet, but I will) return the honor you've done me here, but I can say that you're the only person who's blog post I ALWAYS read (even if it takes me a while, like this one). You're a huge source of inspiration. I know that there's all these insane book blogs out there with insane follower counts, but I always feel like you're so true to yourself and that's the most beautiful thing there is. I am in love with you and your blog too. So happy new year! I wish you all the best and I sincerely hope we can be friends one day.

    Maaike @ All These Lives I Live

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is by far one of my favorite comments ever, Maaike! You have absolutely NO idea how incredibly happy & emotional this just made me. *hugs you really tight* No one has ever called me a "source of inspiration", so this means a lot. Thank you, really. I can only return what you said! ♥

      I'm already looking forward to chatting some more with you - I'd love to get to know you better & become friends! :D

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.