Sunday, September 20, 2015

{REVIEW} Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Title: Everything, Everything
Author: Nicola Yoon
Series: Stand-alone
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Publication: September 1st, 2015
Rating: ★★★★☆ +0.5

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.
First of all: OH MY GOD. This book? It's EVERYTHING. Seriously, I'm overwhelmed right now. I don't even know how to put my feels into words. I don't think I can find proper ones, to be honest. This deserves so much more and I'm so, so happy that I finally got to read this ... no wonder this is being so hyped! And I finished it in one sitting - I couldn't and didn't even want to put it down!

I love the illustrations, graphs, handwritten notes and everything else in it! This is so creative, individual and gives the book a really unique feel. Nicola Yoon's writing is brilliant too - very easy and quick to read. With all those short and funny sentences she easily kept my attention throughout the whole book and I was never bored.

"For the first time in a long time, I want more than I have."

Olly is extremely cute. At first I thought he's a quiet, maybe even a little shy, guy but he's so different to that I expected! And I loved that! He's a bit mysterious, sexy, extremely funny and generally super, super cute so you just HAVE to love him. SO MUCH. Seriously, I absolutely adored him! The way he interacts with Maddy and everything they share together ... how he looks at her, how much he cares for her. It's just amazing and their relationship made me feel all happy and I was grinning most of the time.

Maddy is such a likable character, I tell you! She's great and even though her life's been nothing but easy, she still finds pleasure in the small things - she loves her books, for example. Eventually she wishes for more but who can blame her? She's got a taste of how life can be and of course, she wants this. She wants to be alive and feel all those amazing things, see the world through/with her own eyes and not only read about it in books. I totally understand her! She's just great and I admired her for a lot of things she did throughout the book ... I'm not sure if I would've been so brave.

"The only thing I know for sure is that this, being here with Olly, being able to love him and be loved by him, is everything."

Another thing I really liked about this book was the ending! It's totally unpredictable and well, I wouldn't have expected it. Never. It didn't even cross my mind because it was so ... absurd. I mean, woah. Just read the book and you'll know what I mean. It's probably a hit or miss ending, so either you'll love it or you'll hate it.

Overall, I enjoyed this so much! I didn't give it full 5 stars because I feel like the ending seemed a bit too rushed? Or it could've been longer, if you ask me! It was still very, very cute and I'd recommend this book nonetheless because it's unique, extremely beautiful with all those illustrations and a quick and easy read for in between. Definitely worth everyone's time! :)

9 comments:

  1. Uh-oh, we don't agree on this one! :D You really didn't expected the ending? :o I thought it was so predicable and I knew it would happen :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, I already read your comment and I feel a little bad for hyping it so much ... I guess it was my fault that your expectations were too high. :/ But no, I didn't expect it! Honestly, I though someone's gonna die at the end ...

      Delete
  2. AGHH YVONNE! I'm SUPER glad you liked this!! I loved it soo soo much and yay, you liked the ending! Most people really disliked this book because of the ending and I see where they're coming from, but it's not your normal YA book you know? The ending added a lot to the story if you ask me. I felt like I was betrayed just like Maddy and I loved that a lot. I loved the shock aspect and the little mystery aspect that's added in as well :)

    Olly was super hot and I'm glad we both officially put him on our book boyfriends list. He's the sweetest and unlike most girls, I can't stand jerks. I love sweet guys SOO muchhhh!

    Awesome review, loved everything about it and the quotes that you picked out are everything, everything. See what I did there? hahaha♥

    Jumana @ Books by Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAAAY! Really? The reviews I've read so far were mostly positive (Melissa's was one of very few that didn't like it so much) but I understand them as well ... I wasn't sure what to think of it at first but I like it. It's different and unbelievable but that's kinda cool, no? :D

      Thank you, my dear! *hugs you tight* ♥

      Delete
  3. I really, really do want to read this one, so I'm really happy you loved this one. I'm quite curious about this ending now though. hah Ollie sounds adorable - I love him already. And I like books that have different means of telling the story like pictures and graphs, etc.

    -Lauren
    www.letsgetbeyondtolerance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you totally should! Like I said, the ending is either a hit or miss for you ... it's very unusal and different but I quite liked it! I hope you'll enjoy it & thanks for stopping by, Lauren! <3

      Delete
  4. I totally agree with everything you're saying here! I loved the book, but I also felt the ending was a little rushed, which is too bad because the rest was fantastic! I think we might have given it the same rating... I LOVED the twist!! I'm so glad you loved this! :D

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You loved the twist too? Yaaay!! When I read this I had to think of Disney IMMEDIATELY. Don't even know why, hahaha. :D

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you liked this one one!! :D YAY. I had a bit of trouble with it...just mostly I found so many inconsistencies in the beginning and "plot holes" BUT THEN OF COURSE THE ENDING EXPLAINED IT. But it did make me feel cheated, almost? Still. I loved Olly!! He was so adorable!!
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.