Thursday, June 25, 2015

2015 Horror Reading Challenge: Second Quarter Update


Hi everyone! I just wanted to post a quick update on my 2015 Horror Reading Challenge which is hosted by the lovely Tracy @ Cornerfolds! I'm still trying to complete Running Scared (1-5 horror books) but I think I'm doing pretty good so far. I read 3 books and highly enjoyed every one of them ... maybe I can even complete Brave Reader (6-10 horror books) since it's "only" June and I still have plenty of time before the year ends. I'm very motivated! ;) But now let's have a look at the books I already read (click the pictures to read the reviews):

Shutter by Courtney Alameda

(Read more of my review by clicking this picture!)

First of all: Oh my god! 5 freaking-awesome-creepy stars!! I've been dying to read this ever since I laid eyes on the cover - it's disturbing but so, so cool! I just knew I have to read this, no matter what.

In Courtney Alameda's debut, we follow the story of Micheline, who's a descendent of Van Helsing and was trained ever since she was a little girl to rid the world of undead creatues such as zombies, vampires and ghosts. Along with her 3 friends Ryder, Jude and Oliver she hunts an entity that murdered lots of innocent people in a hospital. What sucks is that this entity isn't quite as easy to kill as the usual creatures they're dealing with and so the crew ends up getting soulchained and only has a week to find and excorcise the ghost before they would all die.




Say Her Name by James Dawson

(Read more of my review by clicking this picture!)

I tried reading this at night and oh my god. It didn't work! Melissa can tell you how freaked out I was - although it was probably super funny for her - it was all dark, shortly before midnight and I sat with my back to the door, only a tiny, little light was on ... and then I read a creepy scene. It was horrible!

Everything starts on Halloween night where a group of teenagers tell each other not-so-scary ghost stories. Sadie tells a story about an ex student at Pipers Hall (their boarding school), these days she's known as Bloody Mary, and because everyone thinks it's a stupid story she dares them to say her name five times in front of a mirror while the room is only lit by candles. Only three did it, our main character Bobbie, her best friend and roomate Naya and a handsome boy from another school, Caine. At first it's all fun but suddenly weird things are happening and Sadie goes missing and each of the three gets the same message: Five Days.



Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake

(Read more of my review by clicking this picture!)

I'll just admit it: I loved this book! Right from the beginning I knew this is something for me ... I mean, horror? Hell yes. Ghosts? Perfect! A ghost hunter called Cas? YES, YES, YES! His name alone made me pretty excited because it reminded me of Castiel from Supernatural - even though they don't have anything in common ... but still.

In general this whole book felt like an episode from Supernatural. I could picture everything and it was like watching it on TV with a little more added details, like Cas' thoughts and everything. Just great! Supernatural is one of my favorite series ever, so of course I was hooked immediately and was happy about all the similarities to the show ... Cas' name, that his father was killed by something evil and now he wants to track it down and kill it himself, the ghosts and other monster and the huntings as well. 

Have you read any horror books this year? If yes, which ones? I'm always open for recommendations, so if you have one you think I'd enjoy let me know about it in the comments, please! :)

3 comments:

  1. Shutter and Say Her Name both sound so good! I already have Shutter, I just haven't gotten around to reading it. Great progress so far! Good luck on the second half of the year! :D

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracy! :D

      Oh goooosh, you need to tell me when you read Shutter (via Twitter, ...)! I hope that you'll like it as much as I did but I'm kinda scared, haha. I don't want you to be disappointed or anything. :D

      Delete
  2. I am not one for horror stories, but Shutter sounds really good and I am almost sure I'm going to read it; the blurb made me very curious.
    Alma @ A Novel Place

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥