Sunday, October 19, 2014

{REVIEW} Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Title: Shatter Me 
Author: Tahereh Mafi 
Series: Shatter Me #1 
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia 
Publication: November 15th, 2011
Rating: ★★★★★

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.
I don’t remember when I last finished a book so quickly - it's my second time reading "Shatter Me" and I still love it as much as before. Tahereh Mafi created such an amazing world with awesome characters that I immediately fell in love with.

At first I was a bit confused - probably because of the author’s writing style - but once I was into the story and the characters I didn’t want to put the book down! I just couldn’t!

Juliette is a very likeable character and just the thought of killing someone by simply TOUCHING him is so interesting! To read about her thoughts, fears and dreams made me like her even more.  She's a strong person that had to go through a lot of tough stuff but never gave up. She's brave and smart but also very insecure about herself, which makes her a lot more realistic. And also her relationship with Adam was beyond perfection - they were so cute and I especially enjoyed all their bathroom scenes together! ♥

"All I ever wanted was to reach out and touch another human being not just with my hands but with my heart." 

Speaking of ... Adam is great! When the author first introduced him in the cell as a douche and a total asshat, I didn't like him. On contract, I wanted to punch him in the face real hard! That's just not a way to treat someone! But then he changed and made clear that he really cares about Juliette and never thought she was a monster. He helped her escape and was there for here when no one else was. I really get why she fell for him, especially with their history and he's basically the ... only one who can touch her.

The other male characters were also amazing and I absolutely LOVED Kenji! He’s so funny and sarcastic and generally just a super cool guy! Warner is the character that confused me the most. I’m not so sure about him … he seems evil but also kind of “cares” about Juliette although he only seems obsessed with her. He’s the bad guy, no doubt (at least for now) but I enjoyed the scenes with him and think he’s interesting?

It feels really good to re-read the book/series and even though I already know what's going to happen I still enjoy it - it's definitely one of my favorite series ever. Usually I don't re-read any books, so this is kinda new to me but I just love the characters and the world Tahereh Mafi built and I've been wanting to dive into their world again forever, so yeah. Everyone who hasn't read the books yet, should definitely check them out! There worth reading and I promise you'll love them!
 
"I spent my life folded between the pages of books. In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction." 

★★★★★

2 comments:

  1. I'm totally in love with this series, too. I haven't read the final installment yet, but I know I'm going to re-read those many times. I just LOVE the style!
    Have you read the novellas, too? I totally hated Warner at first, mixed signals or not, but when I read the first novella. OMG it opened my eyes and now I'm totally into him and think Adam is just... well, the cutie with not much personality. Plus, I think I wouldn't have liked the second book as much if I hadn't read the novella, because I would've felt the change in Warner to be too radical.
    Have fun re-reading the other installments, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god, you NEED to read the last book! "Ignite Me" is probably the best of all and I loved it so, so much!
      And yes, of course I have read them! I LOVED "Destroy Me" but the one about Adam was just .... no. I didn't really like it and Adam annoyed me more and more while I instantly fell in love with Warner - especially after his novella, you just HAD TO love him! ♥

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥