Monday, August 25, 2014

{REVIEW} The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Title: The Book Thief
Author: Markus Zusak
Series: Stand-alone
Genre: Historical Fiction, War
Publication: September 1st, 2005
Rating: ★★★★★

It’s just a small story really, about, among other things, a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery.

  
Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist: books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids – as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul
It all started with my love for Hans Hubermann. He was the first character I really liked and his relationship with Liesel was just beautiful and i’d like to thank Zusak for such a great character!

“Even death has a heart.”

The second thing is Death. He’s the narrator of the story and it was really interesting to read about Liesel’s life in his point of view – plus: i liked how the author interprets his character! Those little “side notes”, the drawings and Max’ stories for Liesel and also the little explanations were nice and I enjoyed them.

For me, a big and important part was Max Vandenburg – he’s one of my faves of the book and I adore him – I especially loved his scenes with Liesel! But Rudy was also awesome and I bet it’s nice to have someone like him in your life – he loved Liesel with all of his heart and that’s just beautiful.

Conclusion: I LOVED this book and I’d give it some more stars if I could. It’s not a “light” or even a fast read but it’s definitely worth it!

“People observe the colors of a day only at its beginnings and ends, but to me it’s quite clear that a day merges through a multitude of shades and intonations with each passing moment. A single hour can consist of thousands of different colors. Waxy yellows, cloud-spot blues. Murky darkness. In my line of work, I make it a point to notice them.”

★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment - you are awesome! I really appreciate it! ♥

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.